Wauconda was named the Best of the Best in 2013 Daily Herald Readers’ Choice Awards! Best City to Live In, Best Community Festival, Best Downtown Atmosphere and Best Park District!
“Best of the Best: City to Live, Community Festival, Downtown Atmosphere and Park District in our 2013 Daily Herald Readers Choice Awards!”
Congratulations to all the people who live, work and play in Wauconda, with whom this award would not have been possible.
Way to go Wauconda!!!
Wauconda is a FUN little town that offers a lot of variety of things to do. Fun for all ages, any time, any day.
These are just a few of the things that I know of and are activities shared with me by the Community Members of this site. If you know of other events that I may have missed, you’re welcome to add them in the comments section below. You may also fill out our Contact Form and someone will contact you shortly to share with you the benefits of being a Community Member.
So on with the show. Mark your calendars —
Energee Center – Boresha International – 6:30pm to 8pm – February 6th, Wednesday
Fat-Burning Coffee & Tea Tasting Party!
Middleton’s on Main – Open Mic 9pm to 11:45pm – February 6th, Wednesday
Featuring local talents, and we’ve got plenty!
Bliss Wine and Gifts – Beer Tasting and Bulldogs Grill Eats – 5:30pm to 8pm – February 7th, Thursday
Taste some great brews paired with specialty items from Bulldogs Grill
Wauconda High School – Relay for Life Lake Zurich/Wauconda/Island Lake Area – 7pm to 9pm – February 8th, Friday
2013 Kick-off Event at Wauconda High School
JJ Twigs Pizza & Pub – Wauconda – Keith James Magnine – 7:30pm to 10pm – February 8th, Friday
FREE live entertainment
Deacon’s Bar and Grill at The Golf Farm – Chicago Comedy Transit – 9pm – February 8th, Friday
Bringing the city’s best comedians to the burbs! Featuring: Charlie Bury & Tim Brochu | Headliner: Marty DeRosa | Hosted by: Angela Vela
Deacon’s Bar and Grill at The Golf Farm – GLX Great Lakes SnoCross Racing – 3pm to 5 pm – February 9th, Saturday
Catch the excitement of Snowmobile Racing
Energee Center – Comedy Club – 8pm to 9:30pm – February 9th, Saturday
Headliner: Sonya White | Feature: Nola J | Emcee: Will Tremont
JJ Twigs Pizza & Pub – Wauconda – Craftstravaganza Sunday – 11am to 9:30pm – February 10th, Sunday
Bring the kids to enjoy some craft projects and stay for lunch or dinner.
Bring your friends to Wauconda and Enjoy!
Image courtesy of photostock at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Here’s a list of a few places that I know of that are offering something fun during Super Bowl Sunday in Wauconda! Make sure to check them out !
JJ Twigs Pizza & Pub in Wauconda – 11:00am to 9:30pm – CRAFTSTRAVAGANZA SUNDAY! Come out for lunch or dinner and let the kids get creative! Every Sunday a craft will be available for kids 12 and under. February’s Project – Magnet Frame.
Deacon’s Bar & Grill at The Golf Farm – Starts at NOON – GLX Great Lakes SnoCross Racing!! Catch the excitement of Snowmobile Racing. All Access Pass – $10.00 – 12 & Under Free. All Military & Students are Half Price!! Full bar and restaurant opens at 7am.
JJ Twigs Pizza & Pub in Wauconda – 5:00pm to 11:45pm – SUPER BOWL 47 @ JJ Twigs Wauconda! Enjoy these specials:
- 47 CENT Bud Light Drafts
- $2 U-CALL-IT Well Drinks
- 35 CENT Wings (Plain, Buffalo, BBQ, Teriyaki or Lava Hot)
- $10 Medium Thin Crust Cheese Pizza
- $10 ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT Halftime Buffet
Walk out the lucky winner of a 46″ LCD TV, an autographed Brian Urlacher helmet or one of many other giveaways.
Middleton’s on Main – Super Bowl Specials include:
- $10 Middleton’s Buffet
- $10 Bud & Bud Light Buckets
- $5 Bombs
- $5 16oz. Half Acre Daisy Cutter Cans
- $2 Pabts Blue
- Plus Fun Prizes, Squares, and More
Bulldogs Grill – Specials On the Menu
- BIG POPPER-Juicy half pound burger topped with fresh jalapenos, cream cheese and a chipotle berry jam
- BALTIMORE BURGER-Half pound burger topped with apple bbq, maple bacon and cheddar
- THE SAN FRANCISCO TREAT-burger, bacon, Provolone, guacamole, balsamic glazed tomatoes
And who says you have to watch the real Super Bowl to enjoy the Commercials? We have that too in Wauconda! Here’s one for your entertainment, featuring our very own Bliss Wine & Gifts!
I know I missed some other Super Bowl Specials in Wauconda. Feel free to add more in the comment section below.
So which team will you be rootin’ for?
As a resident of Wauconda for almost 13 years and being that it’s the year 2013, it seems fitting that I should write about 13 things to love about Wauconda. So here it goes…. Note that this is not inclusive of everything Wauconda has to offer. I’m counting on you to add more on the list. So I welcome your comments below.
1) Bangs Lake – is named after Justus Bangs, the first permanent settler in Wauconda, who arrived in the summer of 1836. Bangs Lake hosts many activities including swimming, boating, skiing and fishing during the summer months. The winter months bring ice skating and ice fishing to the lake.
2) Main Street – what’s there not to like? Every turn of the season, community volunteers, called Main Street Attraction, help decorate the lamp posts with seasonal greenery, floral arrangement and lighting. Then of course, we have the businesses on Main Street, that provides an eclectic mix of restaurants and bar, musical entertainment by many talented local artists (just to name a few of my favorites like (3Lincolns, Josh Skaja, Kevin Purcell, Heather Moran, Cathy Richardson and the list goes on….) and last but not least, shopping adventure. Which by the way, many of the shops there are holding their annual holiday year-end sale. Gotta love that! HURRY!
3) Ample Supply of Auto Parts and Banks – need I say more? 🙂
4) Best Gourmet Burgers – Bulldogs Grill offers daily specials in addition to their already wide-selection of gourmet burgers. And it’s no doubt that they received many awards for their awesomeness included, being voted “#1 Burger in Lake County”, “2012 Reader’s Choice Award” and was featured on “WGN’s Chicago’s Best TV Show”, which aired on October 30, 2011.
5) FREE Wine Tasting Daily – you can enjoy wine, live entertainment and have food brought in from local restaurants nearby at Bliss Wine and Gifts.
6) Lots of Selections for Fish Fry – we have Deacon’s Bar & Grill at The Golf Farm, Middleton’s on Main, Dock’s, Lindy’s Landing just to name a few. I’m sure there are more and I invite you to comment below with additional ones in the neighborhood.
7) Millenium Trail – runs through Lakewood to Spring-Hill Forest Preserve and includes over 9 miles of connected trail for bicycles, hikers, horses and cross country skiers.
8) Athletic Races – we have our 5K walks/runs, whether it’s monster related or turkey related, we have it, we run it. And rain or shine there’s Jog-n-Java that meets every morning in front of Bulldogs Grill. So, no need to feel guilty about eating that Famous Duck Fries from Bulldogs Grill, you can burn off the calories by partaking in any of these calorie burning activities.
9) Awesome Main Street Events Throughout the Year – OK, I’m going to name some and I know I’ll forgot a few. If you know of more, I need for you to comment and add them below. Does that sound good? Here are the ones I remember — Bubbles for Blossom, Blues, Brews & Burgers, Scarecrows on Main, WurstFest Ever, Trick or Treat on Main, Street Dance, Turkey Trot, Get Nuts on main, Holiday Walk and our Memorial Day and Homecoming Parades. So OK, did I miss any?
10) Classes – Art class, soap-making class, cooking class, wine class, Wauconda definitely has class! Check out our Events Calendar and Business Directory for a list of class offerings and who offers them.
11) Schools — speaking of class? Did you know that this past summer, a student from Wauconda High School scored a perfect 36 on the ACT college entrance exam? WOW! That’s the future of Wauconda! Which I’m thinking we need to feature them on our website, called “Future of Wauconda, Who Are They and Where Are They Now?” What do you guys think?
12) Where Everyone Knows Your Name – seriously, where can you go for a date night ,go to several different venues, all within walking distance, and every one knows your name? Where?
13) Awesome Sense of Community – I have lived many places and Wauconda is by far that one place where you feel a sense of being “home”. My neighbors, people I meet at schools, in town Wauconda, people I hang out, etc…all have that genuine caring attitude. I love Wauconda and I love the people! Don’t you? There are always plenty of things to do, places to go and people to meet in Wauconda!
So there you have it. I know you have more to add. Would love to hear it….
Happy 2013 Wauconda!
And with the new year comes lots of new things going on at NWSuburbsChicago.com. We’ve revamped our site with new tabs and content. Please look around the site and let us know what you think! One of the highlights is our Business Directory section, be sure you check it out. You’ll see many of our new Advertisers there. We’d also like to welcome them below.
Oh! The Places You Will Go! In Wauconda…..
I don’t know if you see what I see, but that image looks like an angel to me! Love that I have an angel to watch over me! 🙂
Also, it may help to bookmark this site so you can be in the know of the Going Ons in Wauconda! Did you know if you have iCal or Google Calendar, you can subscribe to our Events so you don’t miss any of the FUN things happening in Wauconda?
And I made it easy for our readers to find us. The Places to Go section is a very inter-active map, how cool is that?!
In the upcoming days and weeks ahead, we’ll be featuring our Advertisers on our NWSuburbsChicago.com website and also on our Facebook Page at My Town Wauconda so stay tuned! Also check out the Special Offers section where you will see special deals being offered by some of the stores in the local area. If you have any special offerings you’d like to share with our readers, please do so by filling out the form on our Contact Us page.
Now don’t be a stranger…..We’re always looking for Advertisers, Contributors and Guest Bloggers on our site. Please refer to our Advertise with Us page to learn more. We’d be happy to have you be part of our growing community!
‘Til next time….
Happy New Year to all of you and may 2013
be the BEST year yet for all of us!!