I have been involved with fitness and nutrition for a number of years. It is my passion.
There is one thing (well more than one, …fat loss supplements, over supplementation and whey protein) that is like nails on a chalkboard to me, and that is the practice of over prescribing cardio by trainers that have no idea about human physiology and hormone balancing.
I am referring to any cardio session exceeding 30 minutes at a steady state or any cardio session exceeding 60 minutes (typical of group exercise classes).
It is time to come into the 21st century. It is has long been proven that beyond a doubt cardio chronically shuts down the production of thyroid hormone, T3, and increases other stress (fat storing) hormones, especially in women.
T3 is the body’s regulator of metabolism; it controls how the body uses foods…burns calories. When T3 levels are normal, the body burns enough energy to stay warm and muscles function at moderate efficiency. Too little T3 and the body stores fat around the midsection, almost regardless of physical activity. So the old school of thought: more exercise, less calories will simply cause increased fat storage and further depressed levels of T3.
Think about this way: the body is a responsive, adaptive machine, evolved for survival. If you are running on a regular basis, the body senses excessive energy expenditure and adjust to compensate. Remember, no matter what dreamy nonsense we invent about how we HOPE the body works; its endgame is ALWAYS survival. When the body is in that survival mode it will not burn calories. So if you are wasting energy running, (or swimming, spinning or other forms of steady state, or long intervals of cardio) the body reacts by slowing down metabolism to conserve energy.
In addition to fat storage, you will start to lose lean muscle mass. That is correct, no more muscle, because too much steady state cardio or too much cardio at one time triggers the loss of muscle through the release of cortisol. The release of cortisol also causes the loss of bone density, and ultimately the loss of strength. When sewn together these events cause a symphony of fat gain. After a month or so of 20 plus hours of cardio a week, fat burning becomes slower and slower. To make matters the frustrated female will cut calories further and up her exercise.
The “cardio-craze” and this form of insanity is on my hit list and I am determined to spread the truth. Remember a great body always starts in the kitchen and a correct exercise program specific to your goals. Please make sure that whoever or wherever you are getting your fitness advice from has a strong understanding of exercise physiology as well as human physiology.
Following is a list of fun things to do in Wauconda the week of March 18, 2013.
What’s Happening in Wauconda
Play Trivia with Mason – Monday, March 18th
Middleton’s on Main is hosting a pub trivia game starting at 8pm. Grab your friends, enjoy a full menu and complete bar offerings while you play trivia with Mason. Prize awarded to winners!
Sake Tasting Class – Tuesday, March 19th
Bliss Wine and Gifts will be conducting a sake tasting class, with sushi being served by Lindy’s Landing Sushi Chef. Class starts at 6pm. This is a pre-registered class, so make sure to call and contact Bliss Wine and Gifts for details.
Smarty Pants Trivia – Wednesday, March 20th
JJ Twigs Pizza & Pub – Wauconda is hosting a pub trivia game starting at 7pm. Smarty Pant’s Trivia is an interactive team trivia game designed to be played by teams of 4 or more people. It is 16 categories long and lasts between 90 & 120 minutes. Categories include sports, movies, music, food, cars and TV. There are also 2 physical challenges a scavenger hunt and weekly prizes!!
Open Mic – Wednesday, March 20th
So you think you can sing or play an instrument? Head on over to Middleton’s on Main for their weekly Open Mic session. Sign up for Open Mic starts at 8:30-pm.
Beer Tasting and Burgers and Live Entertainment – Thursday, March 21st
Great beer tasting line up , coupled with gourmet burger cuisine by Bulldogs Grill and live musical entertainment? What else could one ask for? Head on over to Bliss Wine and Gifts and make a date out of it! All start at 5:30pm.
Live Entertainment by John Lambert – Friday, March 22nd
Start the weekend with John Lambert performing acoustic at JJ Twig’s Pizza & Pub – Wauconda this Friday. Entertainment starts at 7pm.
“Truth About Cholesterol and Why We Need It” class – Saturday, March 23rd
For the health conscious, Linda DeFever of Vitality Inc. will be conducting a class at Wauconda Citizen’s Center on Saturday from 1pm to 3pm. Please arrive promptly and feel free to bring a snack.
Live Musical Entertainment by Heather Moran – Saturday, March 23rd
Heather Moran will be at JJ Twigs Pizza & Pub – Wauconda on Saturday from 7-11pm.
Spiritual Mastery Study Group with Rev. Patty Pipia – Sunday, March 24th
Do you want to move from being on the spiritual path, to being and walking on the path of the mystic? Then you must attend this! Starts at 9:30am to 11am at the Energee Center.
Craftstravaganza Sunday – March 25th
From 11am to 9:30pm, your kids can get creative at JJ Twigs Pizza & Pub – Wauconda. So come for lunch and dinner and have the kids be entertained with varied monthly projects.
Hope to see all of you at one or all of these events. We strongly recommend that you contact the place of venue in case of any cancellation or changes.
Following Are Nine Cholesterol Facts That May Make You Rethink All of the Negative Stigma Heard about….. CHOLESTEROL!
1. You Make It! Our body makes cholesterol in the liver. About 80% of the cholesterol circulating in our blood comes from our liver. Only 20% comes from the foods you eat.
2. Lower Stress. Cholesterol is a powerful anti-stressor. Stress comes from a number of sources. In fact, the more stressed you are the more cholesterol your liver makes. Cholesterol is one of the most powerful anti-stress substances in your body.
3. Increased Bone Density. Circulating cholesterol (LDL) is converted into Vitamin D (hormone), which is anti-inflammatory and allows you to absorb calcium for the health of your bones and teeth. Vitamin D has hormone-like effects, and is important in immune function as well as the integrity of the GI tract.
4. Sex Hormones. You manufacture all your sex hormones – pregnenlone, progesterone, testosterone and estrogen from cholesterol. As you get older your levels of sex hormones might drop due to a drop in cholesterol levels. If you take statin drugs to lower cholesterol you might find yourself with menopausal or sexual problems. An interesting fact: the same pharmaceutical company makes Lipitor and Viagra.
5. Anti-Inflammatory Hormones. Anti-inflammatory hormones are critical to your health. Hormones like pregnenolone, progesterone, DHEA and cortisol (in the short-term) allow you to heal, regenerate and manage stress, sodium and blood sugar. All these hormones are made from cholesterol.
6. Circulatory Hormones. Aldosterone is another hormone made from cholesterol that increases blood volume. Increased blood volume increases the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to your cells.
7. Digestive Hormones. Bile is made from cholesterol in our liver and it is stored in the gallbladder. Bile is secreted into your small intestines to break down dietary fats, and its sudsy effect helps keep your intestines clean. Toxins, like estrogen are stored in the bile after being detoxified by the liver. When the bowel is moving well and bile is made optimally, you are able to eliminate these toxins out of your body with your daily bowel movement.
8. Stabilization. Cholesterol stabilizes the mitochondria of the cell, the place hormones are made and where glucose is converted to ATP – where energy is made. This stabilizing effect protects the cells from stress, which allows them to produce energy optimally.
9. Toxicity and Stress. Cholesterol will rise when your body is generally stressed or is stressed by toxic substances. Examples include heavy metals like mercury and cadmium; toxins form the gut (endotoxin), and chemicals like pesticides.
So there you have it – now you all know the truth about cholesterol but were always afraid to ask. Post any comments or questions below and Linda DeFever, owner of Vitality Inc. Health for a Lifetime will be here to answer your questions. And if you’d like to learn more about Cholesterol, she will be conducting a lecture on “Truth about Cholesterol and Why We Need It” at the Community Center on March 23, 2013 at 1PM. Early registrations required as space is limited. Check out our Events Calendar for more details about this event.
Image courtesy of photostock at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Wauconda Has Class
Remember when I wrote about 13 Reasons to Love Wauconda and had mentioned how Wauconda has class? DreamScapes Whimsical Boutique & Studio was one of those unique places I was talking about. Located in the beautiful downtown Wauconda, DreamScapes offers a variety of classes from young to younger.
Meet Andrea of DreamScapes Whimsical Boutique & Studio
Owner, Andrea is a natural artist at heart. A very creative entrepreneur, Andrea earned her Master’s Degree in Art Therapy. Her lifelong dream of having her own shop is balanced by also working at Alexian Brothers as an Expressive Arts Therapist where she helps both children and adults use creative arts as form of therapy. Expressive therapy is said to help people heal through use of imagination and the various forms of creative expression. Not only is it commendable that Andrea has such passion, but how she’s also able to maintain and run a store and raise her family as well is very admirable. When I had this interview with Andrea, she was on her way to take her son to basketball practice. She’s a busy mom! Andrea is married and has two children named Serenity and Zakai. Talk about being creative, it didn’t stop even with naming her children!
Art & Painting Classes
Art Classes at DreamScapes Whimsical Boutique & Studio
DreamScapes Whimsical Boutique and Studio offers themed classes like Mom & Me, Girls Scouts Get Togethers, Drop in Crafts, Make Your Own Jewelry and Seasonal Art Camps in Spring, Summer and Winter. You can find some of the wonderful projects at Honey Hill Coffee Shops after the Camp Sessions.
Girls Scouts Gathering at DreamScapes Whimsical Boutique & Studio
Celebrate Birthday Parties at DreamScapes Whimsical Boutique & Studio
Having a birthday party? Come out and celebrate at DreamScapes! They will custom-design a party to bring out the creative genius out of your celebrant. Endless party packages to choose from! Look at how happy these girls are! Who wouldn’t want to have a party here?
Girls Night Out
For a fun night-out of creativity with the ladies, DreamScapes Whimsical Boutique & Studio offers an escape to unleash your creativity for a few hours. A professional art instructor will work with you and your friends as you paint any masterpieces of your choice. Class fee is $35 and includes supplies, use of tools and canvas.
Art & Yoga Classes
Need to get your wiggles out? DreamScapes Whimsical Boutique & Studio also offers Art & Yoga classes in four week increments. Does this sound intriguing? Please be sure to check their website to see upcoming class schedules.
In summary, DreamScapes Whimsical Boutique & Studio as the name implies, is not just a retail store, they are a full activity center for people of all ages. People can come in, pick out beads and make jewelry all for one flat rate. People can paint on canvas, picture frames, ceramic things or any other medium. People can set play dates, have custom-planned group events, celebrate birthday parties, bridal or baby showers, have ladies night out, attend art & yoga classes….the possibilities are endless at DreamScapes Whimsical Boutique & Studio.
Dreamscapes is located at 119 S. Main Street, Wauconda IL 60084 ~ (224) 795.7437.
Mon. & Fri. 10:30 am to 6pm
Tues. & Sat. 10:30 am to 5pm
Wed. 12pm – 5pm
Thurs. 12pm – 6pm
Sunday by appointment only.
Check out DreamScapes Whimsical Boutique & Studio website and engage with them on Facebook. They’re waiting to create with you!
DreamScapes Whimsical Boutique & Studio